Director of Coaching – Open Position
The SPF Soccer Club – Director of Coaching position is being created by the SPF Soccer Club Executive Committee. The position will begin on August 1, 2019.
If you have any questions or would like to apply for this position, please contact Matt Rosenthal.
- The Director of Coaching position is a contracted position with a term of one (1) year. The term begins on August 1 and runs through July 31. This position may or may not be renewed at the end of the term at the discretion of the SPFSC Executive Committee.
- DoC will train no less than one, no more than two SPFSC 7v7 Tier 2 Team. The compensation for training these teams will be paid in addition to the DoC Base pay.
- DoC must perform the Director of Coaching duties as described in the “Director of Coaching Expectations and Responsibilities” list below.
- Director of Coaching Certification preferred
Governance and Reporting:
- The Director of Coaching reports to the SPFSC Executive Committee.
- The President of the SPFSC will be the DoC’s primary point of contact for matters pertaining to his or her general position requirements, bi-annual evaluations, priorities, etc. The President will work in conjunction with the Executive Committee to ensure alignment on all of the above topics.
- The DoC will work closely with the VP of Travel, VP of Sr. Recreation (teams in SYSL League), and VP of Jr. Recreation (teams U10 and under), on matters affecting these Programs and the club as a whole.
- The DoC cannot have a professional affiliation with any other soccer club
- The DoC cannot train players in any other soccer organization – individually, by team or otherwise
- The Doc must disclose all outside affiliations and/or conflicts of interest that may exist with the SPFSC
Director of Coaching Expectations and Responsibilities:
The scope of the DOC role extends to every player, team, division and program across the entire Scotch Plains Fanwood Soccer Club. The DOC will be expected to comply with the mission statements, by-laws, policies, and philosophies of SPFSC.
- Attend various meetings where needed to provide expertise on soccer related matters
- In conjunction with the SPF Soccer Executive Committee, assist in defining and deploying the club‘s soccer culture
- Assist on disciplinary action regarding trainers, coaches, parents and players – all serious matters should be reported to the BoD
- Be an easily accessible person that maintains a good rapport with coaches, parents and players.
- Implement a curriculum for long term development plan for each age group. This curriculum or plan should be continuously evaluated for improvements and changes of philosophy.
- Attend games and training sessions to ensure the ‘philosophy’ of the club is being followed.
- Develop and implement a player evaluation process to provide appropriate periodic feedback
- Recruit and assign coaches to certain programs and teams across the SPFSC
- Evaluate staff turnover, ensuring coaches have development opportunities
- Manage all feedback, make observations, mentor trainers, etc.
- Create a program for staff (trainers, parent coaches) development
- Lead meetings, clinics and seminars to assist improvement in training and parent coaching
- Provide feedback and ongoing development to ‘guide’ trainers towards the mission of SPFSC.
- Develop and implement a coach / trainer evaluation process.
- Run preseason meetings with all coaches and answer all questions pertaining to you from parents
- Develop and improve coaches so that players maximize their potential at all ages
- Support Travel VP with team placement in various leagues and tournaments
- Promote, manage and oversee “Freeplay” Tryout/Evaluation and seasonal associated program
- Supporting the Travel VP with regards to Team Formation
- Support to the VPs of Rec (Jr and Sr) & Travel regarding player movement across programs
- Scheduling training sessions to ensure maximum cohesion and development between teams in similar age groups
- Manage ‘flow’ between programs and identify players capable of moving between (Across) programs
- Ensure that any new mandates from our governing bodies are presented to the board for evaluation and potential implementation
- Organize, manage and oversee additional programs, tournaments, camps, clinics at the discretion of the Executive Committee
- Assist in the design and execution of a college recruiting program at the High School ages. (Consider using a “showcase concept” and partnering with local towns)
- Provide content for SPFSC website to highlight areas of improvement.